Winter isn’t coming; it’s here and here to stay. It’s not all doom and gloom though; one of this season’s must have coats is the humble puffer, aka a duvet with sleeves. I can barely contain my joy that it’s now acceptable to cocoon yourself in a duvet coat to face the bitter cold. Previously languishing on a pile of fashion faux pas, along with UGG boots and leggings-worn-as-trousers, the puffer coat has been given a super luxe makeover this season. Worn super XXL at Marques Almeida, shiny at Raf Simons and given a decadent twist with silk and embroidery at Alexander McQueen.
The high street are, of course, quick to catch onto a surefire hit. Various iterations from long to cropped, classic black to punchy primary colours, there’s a puffer coat to suit everyone. Here are my favourite picks under £150:
- Monki puff coat - £65his is my very favourite! I adored the soft pink colour which seems to have sold out but this dull saffron is a good alternative. I love the longer length and shawl collar. It would obviously look great dressed down but I would also wear it with a chic little black dress and heels as a total contrast.
- River Island Studio cropped puffer jacket - £90I love this deep burgundy cropped-yet-oversize puffer so much. The colour is so rich and perfect for the colder months and it has a hood, ideal for protecting your hair from the inevitable frizz-inducing winter showers. Due to the cropped, voluminous silhouette, I’d pair it with jeans and heels for a cool off-duty look.
- Ivy Park oversized puffer - £119 This puffer ain’t for the fainthearted. It’s long, it’s oversize and it’s shiny silver. But it’s a thing of beauty. It’s a real statement piece; Beyonce wasn’t pulling any punches with this coat. It looks super cosy too. I would love to see this casually slung over a beautiful cocktail dress.
- Topshop pink satin puffer jacket - £99 Proving puffers don’t always need to be boring, this Topshop iteration is super cute and feminine. In fact, it reminds me of a pink marshmallow…in the best way possible. I’d wear it with mom jeans and heels to give the saccharine jacket a bit of edge. Bonus: pink is a huge trend for SS17!
- Zara long quilterd down coat - £119 Trust Zara to throw out the most fashion-forward puffer on the high street. The oversize quilts are slightly reminiscent of the Marques Almeida runway coat while the huge, almost funnel-like collar is very Raf.